Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 3 - Surf n Turf

I've started a spreadsheet of date ideas.  Unfortunately many of the things I've come up with require much warmer weather than what we are experiencing in Nebraska right now.  So after pouring over my list and several online suggestions, I decided to do a date night in.  Although it was incredibly enjoyable and relaxing, it didn't end up being nearly as cheap as I had hoped.  Definitely cheaper than dinner and a movie out though.

I arranged for a babysitter (Thanks Christy! I hope you let me return the favor one night), planned a dinner I knew we'd both enjoy, and loaded up the "watch instantly" netflix queue with plenty of movies.  I wanted to keep dinner pretty simple so I wouldn't spend the whole night cooking, but I also wanted it to be nice enough that it didn't feel like "the same ol' same old".  I settled on spinach and strawberry salad with feta, walnuts and strawberry balsamic vinaigrette, maple glazed salmon, a broiled New York strip for John, roasted potatoes, garlic bread and brownies for dessert.  I made the salad, vinaigrette and brownies ahead of time and the bread was store-bought, so once the peanut was at the sitter's it took me about 45 minutes.  The salmon baked while the potatoes roasted and the steak broiled while I got the table and plates ready.  

After dinner we snuggled in on the couch to watch "Ghostbusters 2" and had nice, quiet romantic cuddle time.  Although we enjoyed every minute of it, we did miss the little guy - it was VERY weird to be home and not have him with us - and we are so used to going to bed early these days that we called an end to our "date" at about 9:00 and I went to pick him up. 

Cost-wise, I spent about $27.00 at the grocery store for things I didn't have on hand.  The balance was $58, I added this week's $50 for a total of $108, minus the $27 for groceries and the current balance of the date fund is $81.00

Next weekend we are traveling out of town to visit some family and friends, so I'm not sure if we will be able to squeeze in a date or not.  I'll keep ya'll posted.

Spinach and Strawberry Salad

Broiled NY Strip, Maple Glazed Salmon and Roasted Potatoes

Dinner for 2

No comments:

Post a Comment